We Are Copywriters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
We Are Copywriters

Intimate forum for beginner, intermediate, and experienced writers whose goal is skillful, lucrative transition into freelance professional copywriting.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Exercises are putting me to sleep

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Exercises are putting me to sleep Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:42 am

jmcoon3132

jmcoon3132

I am having a hard time getting through the exercises. I'm trying to stay focused, but it is very difficult for me. I find it helpfull to keep very organized, and log what I work on each day.. here are some notes I took today:

12/21/15 : Monday
Today I through the end of Part 1
Started Part 2, and read through page 12
took a break, and went through exercise 3 (am I the only one who hates these things?)
every time I try to do one I get through about 2 readings and I find myself falling asleep. “Not conducive to learning I think.” Now I find myself drowsy, and having difficulty focusing.

may be I'm just having a bad day, but I felt the same doing exercise 1 and 2 as well. The program keeps reinforcing the importance of doing EVERY step, but these are really taking it out of me. Anyone else have a perspective on this?

2Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Re: Exercises are putting me to sleep Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Jill Arnel

Jill Arnel
Admin

All I can say is DO IT ANYWAY. But don't deprive yourself of breaks. (Caffeine helps me.)

Maybe you are not getting enough sleep or exercise.

And, yes, we all have bad days!
Hang in there,
Jill

https://wearecopywriters.forumotion.com

3Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Keep Pushing! Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:53 am

kcitahoe

kcitahoe

When I was doing the exercises, the thing that got me was writing them out three times. Ouch, bad writers cramps. So I did half, took a break and came back and finished.

You Will survive and it is worth it.

I am at the end of Part two and have to write my restaurant letter.

Thinking how to Start strong and give a great promise to build my letter with.

I just read yesterday somewhere in my readings "A GOAL IS A DREAM WITH A DEADLINE!"

What is your goal and dream?

Hope this is helpful!
Kevin

4Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty A Way with Words Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:27 am

jearlesred

jearlesred

I thought I posted this yesterday, but I can't find what I wrote anywhere - still figuring out this forum. Anyway, I found the podcast that mentions "structural priming" - after listening, I better understand the benefit of copying the letters so many times.

The forum is not allowing me to post an "external link"; however, if you type "a way with words a dancer who walks for a living" into Google, you will find the podcast.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

5Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Way with words Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:04 am

kcitahoe

kcitahoe

Here is the link that Jennifer was referring to!

Listen to it. It is very good!

http://www.waywordradio.org/dancer-who-walks/

6Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Re: Exercises are putting me to sleep Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:53 pm

Colemanallme

Colemanallme

I do understand your point, going through the insurance letter in exercise 4 and the one in exercise 5 for Newsweek is a bit daunting. We are all learning a new path and my excitement level is not that high while I am reading them. When you are learning a different way to do something is never easy ,in college keeping my eyes on the BIG FINISH always helped me. Once I am finished with the Accelerated Program, my niche will be in travel writing.

Traveling is something I like doing. Several stock agencies have accepted my photos I had stashed away in my camera. Who would have guessed my photos would end up on IStock and Dreamtimes. It's a start and I am excited about that. The Accelerated Program is like a foundation, once you get through it you will be glad you did. Find out what works for you while you are working, For me I need quiet, no noise, music, no distractions. I write better and think better. So find out what works for you and go for it! You can do it.
Mella

7Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Re: Exercises are putting me to sleep Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Jill Arnel

Jill Arnel
Admin

Mella,

What an inspiration you are. Your focus is awesome, and if you could sell it along with your self-confidence, I would buy it! Congratulations on getting your photos on IStock and Dreamstime, Did they pay you for them? If so, what's the going rate? Were your images travel-related?

Your dedication and your ability to home in on your travel-niche is also amazing. You appear also to have mastery over your work environment. I have the quiet I need most of the time, but I struggle with other distractions, such as email and social media. ADHD is not my friend Sad 

My current barrier is setting up my web site and figuring out WordPress. Even the tutorials are confusing to me. I may try to find some online support or perhaps I am just not getting the right tutorials for a techno-dolt such as myself. Also self-promotion. I do not have much of a copywriting portfolio-- although I have written articles, posts, brochures even a non-fiction book. I've even written some copy for web sites that no longer exist but have not figured out how to showcase that.

RE: soporific letter copying, Mella. John Michael, Kevin, Jennifer, etc.  Daunting and evocative of writer's cramp, but I do see some value in rote learning. It's also a discipline thing. Discipline is a definite necessity here.

I'm trying to work with affirmations, too:

I focus on completing one task at a time.

I am calm, efficient, and productive.

I wish that more of the Calm app were free. Have any of you bought the yearly subscription? 

Later,
Best regards,
Jill

8Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Re: Exercises are putting me to sleep Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Colemanallme

Colemanallme

Hi Jill

Believe it or not, I just applied a few weeks ago. I have not received payment yet, and your royalties depends on a few things. If you have your photos exclusive just for the site your percentage is more. Also how many photos you post raises your royalties as well.

What made me start taking pictures was everyone else had my baby pictures and I could not find one. I have not one baby picture of me. So I did not want my kids to look back and not have any pictures of themselves when they were younger. My camera is a Nikon Digital camera and I am in a different world when I am taking pictures, (yes) I Love to travel. Next year I plan on taking a cruise, not sure where yet, but I know we will take some great pictures on the trip. What I do is work a little on each project or goal I have. It's really a drive I have to finish something, usually pushing myself to the limit always works.

If you turn off the phone, TV, and just tell people NO! There is so much you can get done. Now I'm on chapter 7 in the Accelerated Program. I am a creative writer and here is one greeting card I wrote. This card is for a young woman who's husband has just died. I wrote this greeting card in 2007 at 12:37 a.m. The name of the card is called See Baby I'll Be Waiting. This is a Sympathy card.

See Baby I'll Be Waiting

I knew the night would come

When your eyes would fill with tears.

Don't Cry Darling, I'll be waiting

For you until you get here!

SO Sing and Laugh and don't

Forget to dance like we used too.

It's alright if it takes all night.

And people think your acting like a fool!

I'm in the Best of Care.

I've made it! I've reached Heaven.

I'm at rest! I'm Home!

I see your smiling, Take Care Now

Love. Dry your eyes, I'll be

Waiting until you get here!

I was going to apply for a creative job at Hallmark, but knew I don't like working for other people. So with that said, It time to make some moves. We are all here because we need a change. God bless everyone and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

P.S. Jill thanks for the encouraging words. In a few months, I will need to create a website for my Wedding Planning Business. Sandals have some great deals for weddings, you can possible get a free honeymoon if you book your wedding at Sandals. Jill I will follow up with the details for you.

9Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Re: Exercises are putting me to sleep Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Jill Arnel

Jill Arnel
Admin

Mella,

Thank you for sharing that card! Its message of comfort is wonderful!
The wedding planning business is a GOLDMINE. People tend to pull out all stops and budgetary consideration. This is one reason my son and his fiancee-- now vacationing in Jamaica where her mom comes from-- have decided to forgo an actual wedding. I think they're going to opt for a trip to Japan instead.

How old are your kids? (Mine are probably your age Wink)
Have a Merry Christmas!  rendeer

Best,
Jill

10Exercises are putting me to sleep Empty Re: Exercises are putting me to sleep Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Colemanallme

Colemanallme

My kids are 17 and 11.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum